Welcome to my crafty blog and the next letter in the Alphabet Challenge series. Today we’re on to D and my teammate Lynda has challenged us to used diecuts on our cards. I’ve gone for one of my favourite sets – ‘honey bee’ from Stampin’Up! (which is now retired) – my card features four die cuts! I combined a few other challenges into this card as well: Festive Friday are celebrating World Bee Day; Global Design Project have chosen ‘beautiful bugs’ as their theme, and the new challenge from Just Add Ink asks us to CASE (copy and selectively edit) one of our own cards.
I used a card that I shared last year as my starting point for this design – you can check it out here: sunshine and happiness
So I started in the same way by cutting the dome shape into a square of card. I die cut the honeycomb hexagons, but this time attached them behind the die cut with a bit of tape.
I lined the card up on a 6×6 card blank and popped some light pencil marks in the corners & at the top, so I could line up the stamp for the beehive in the right place. I then stamped that onto the card blank using ‘mustard seed’ Distress Oxide. I added the sentiment in black, together with one of the SU ‘borders to backgrounds’ stamps along the bottom, to ground the beehive, and then attached it to the card front.
I stamped the large and small bee in black, and added their yellow stripes with a ‘daffodil yellow’ Write marker before attaching them wth foam pads. I popped a little Wink of Stella onto their wings to make them shimmer, and drew a little trail from the small bee with a micron pen as the final touch.
It’s defintiely stepped up a bit from last year’s effort, but still recognisable as the same design. Do come and share your cards with die cuts over at the Alphabet Challenge – we’d love to see what you create.