Welcome to my crafty blog. I’m now up to September 2013 in my weekly lookback through the Claritystamp new design club since I first joined at the end of 2012. This week it’s the turn of the ammonite stamp that was #83. I think I might have used this once when I first got it, but it’s not been out of the folder since then (not entirely inappropriate for a fossil to have been tucked away for years, I suppose!).
I was wondering how best to use it, and thought it might work with a stencil background using the Gelli plate and alcohol ink technique that Barbara Gray blogged earlier this year. You can find her step by step tutorial here. I started with the small square gelli plate, and laid the Clarity ‘seaweed’ stencil on it before dabbing ‘denim’ alcohol ink over the plate. I tried not to get the ink over more of the stencil beyond the edge of the plate.
The next step was to pull the image from the gelli plate (after taking the stencil off). I used ‘buff titanium’ acrylic paint, which I applied with a brayer and gave me the print on the right of the picture below. I didn’t really like the look of that one at this stage. I then spritzed the stencil with alcohol blending solution to loosen the ink, quickly laid it on a piece of card and then ran it through my Gemini embossing machine. That gave me the print on the left, which was also embossed into the card with the texture of the stencil.
I then stamped the ammonite onto both pieces of card and heat embossed them with WOW powder. I used two of the powders from the ‘Riviera’ trio, as they have a lovely texture with flecks of black & white in them. I used the ‘provencal’ on the white background, which almost looks sandy, and the ‘genteel’ on the beige one, which has grey tones. I then trimmed both pieces down using a square die.
By now, the beige background had definitely grown on me and was looking a lot better. I really like the way the stamp image looks as though it’s partly buried against the background on both pieces. All I then did was to stamp & heat emboss the sentiment onto two black 5×5 card blanks, using silver for the beige background and gold for the white one, and then attach the toppers to each card.
I’m going to share these cards on this month’s WOW Facebook challenge, where the theme is ‘colours and textures’. The white and gold one also fits this week’s challenge over at TicTacToe – it picks up the right hand column of heat embossing-gold-dry embossing. I also want to say a huge thank you to the TicTacToe design team for choosing my card from last week (A platinum wedding anniversary!) as one of their top team picks – such a thrill!